Tomorrow I jet off to
sunny thunderstormy Italy, and just in time, I have finished my teardrop bag!
I had a lot of problems with this bag. First, I couldn’t figure out the pleat – it just didn’t make sense to me. At attempt 5 and many re-ironings I finally decided to trust the instructions and it came out perfect! That’ll teach me. The sewing machine broke just prior to sewing together the outer and lining of the bag, leaving me stranded with two bits of a lovely bag. The pocket seemed more or a divider, prompting me to sew a dividing line, which I’m very happy with, and the hips looked terrible after all the resewings of handle and lining, prompting me to rip the whole thing back out again and restart, putting the hips on by hand right at the end.
And I love it. It was more trouble than any bag should be (and that is no fault of the pattern, but more of my beginner status as a sewer – this is really an intermediate bag, in my opinion), but I love it to bits.
The bag has been packed now, and I snapped this photo just before the heavens opened, so this is the only picture, but doesn’t it look lovely! I really like the contrast of the main bag and the handles (the lining is a slightly mintier green) and the size is brilliant. I made the large, and it’s really roomy. I think it’ll be a great holiday bag, and I can’t wait to start my next Amy Butler pattern.
I also have to say thank you to My Crafty Crap. The posts there have been such an inspiration as I struggled on with this. When I come back from holiday, I’m really looking forward to joining back in with the sew-along.